Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon Bitner Hinckley


This picture of our beloved prophet sits on our kitchen counter, a gift from the Lot's. We will treasure the memory of the many ways he has touched out lives, particularly in bringing us even closer to the Savior, Jesus Christ. He passed away last night at the age of 97 after serving the Lord as prophet for almost 13 years

Yesterday we had a televised stake conference for the 47 stakes of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. So in church buildings all over these 3 states, all the saints were hearing the words of the Lord through his servants, Pres. Thomas S. Monson, Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Elder Pace and Sister Cook. Their messages were timely for the south. I particularly liked the fact that the 3 brethren refered to politics without mentioning names. The church endorses no candidate or party but encourages us all to become involved and informed and vote our conscience. They also referred to the falsehoods that are being said about our church and encouraged us to lovingly withstand the attacks- helping people understand, -for they truly are uninformed. Elder Pace suggested we read 15 pages to increase our own knowledge and testimony - the 13 pages of Joseph Smith History in the Pearl of Great Price, The Living Christ and The Proclamation on the Family.

We did notice that the 4 speakers seemed rather somber. President Monson was especially so and now we understand why - little did we know that Pres. Hinckley was sick. However, I really enjoyed Pres. Monson's talk - it was full of personal stories and faith building experiences. He said "never tone down what the Lord can do with you"... now he must step forward and take the reins. Our prayers are with him.

2 comments:

wildingtex said...

Thanks for sharing this Karie - I'm preparing a FHE lesson for tonight - and I'd like to use some of the comments and observations you were part of.

Love you,

Shaleen

My Dearest Rich said...

Thanks Karie for sharing! What a great conference 3 of the southern states were blessed with. I wish we too could have heard their talks. While I struggle with finding within myself to love Pres. Monson the same as Pres. Hinckley, I know he will especially now more than ever help in guiding our church and representing the Savior. Thanks again! Love ya!