My next cell phone will have a camera on it! Then you would have a picture of my sturdy mini-van stuck in the MUD! That's right!
It all started with a simple baby shower at an Italian restaurant in down town Acworth. (By the way, I've noticed a trend - baby showers at restaurants. Nobody has to do anything but send out an email invite and then show up - times are changing.) There is a train that goes through down town Acworth and as I was leaving, the train was blarring through! I had to take a little detour to go the direction I desired so I went behind the restaurant. Well, it was dark and I didn't know that they had been fixing those streets and there was no signs cautioning me.
Suddenly there was no cement and I was on pure dirt - no problem except that it had rained that day. I could feel my tires sliding as I went slightly downhill...kept a steady speed hoping to make it up the slight incline but it was not to be. I avoided the large tractor (and wished I was in one) but came to a hault. Thank goodness for cell phones. I was all alone, not a soul in sight, nor any street lights for that matter.
Fortunately Ron did NOT have stake meetings as he always does on Wednesday night. He and Mike Wallace saved me...but honestly I didn't think they would be able to get it out of the mud. However, they are very good at this sort of thing and knew just what to do...find gravel from the nearby mess (they were so smart and brought a shovel along with all sorts of other stuff) and shoveled it under my tires. They pushed and I drove and I HATE (and I don't hate many things) to drive on slippery ground as everybody knows. I would rather have pushed but they had more muscle than me. I was shaking from the fright - I know that's lame but I have had very bad experiences on slippery ground (you know like the time a car was slipping on the ice and came up on the sidewalk and hit me as a pedestrian and put me in the hospital for 6 weeks and I relearned to walk. Or the time when I was driving over Donner Pass in a raging blizzard in an old station wagon without front wheel drive and narrowly missed an accident).
So now I'm adding MUD to my list of things I hate to drive in. But I'm home safe and sound. We had 2 very dirty cars to clean at 11:00 at night, plus 3 sets of incredibly muddy shoes ( I can hardly believe one of us didn't slip and fall). THANK YOU RON AND MIKE! I cannot tell you how happy I was when you pulled up (and we didn't have to get a tow truck)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 comments:
Oh mom, I'm so sorry! I'm glad that everyone is alright and that Dad and Mike could come save you!
Dynamic duo to the rescue, only to help a maiden in distress, but what guy doesn't want to play in the dirt. It was our pleasure,we mean fun. However, a picture would not have done justice. Roads are built on clay not dirt for compacting you may sink 2" to 3" that’s all, it is like being on ice. You did well going afar as you did.
And one thing to be glad about is you didn't have to call home and tell your dad you were playing in the mud and got stuck or call a wrecker truck to retrieve a vehicle driving down a creek bed. Not that it has ever happened to us.
Keep smiling,
Batman & Robin.
Post a Comment