Sunday, April 29, 2012

Grandmother's Clock

I didn't know I was so sentimental. 
I don't save a lot of "stuff." 
However, when Janalee gave me a stack of music
from "the old days",
I was very excited to see this piece of music.

I VIVIDLY recall learning this little piece when I was about nine years old (the year I started piano) - that would have been 1967ish and the copyright on this is 1965.
I can remember sitting at the grand piano in the living room on Grenadier Lane in San Pedro, California.
I struggled as I practiced and complained to my mother that I just couldn't do it!
I was so frustrated trying to get my two hands coordinated,
especially on the 2nd page!
My word, look how difficult it is!



And now
I AM A GRANDMOTHER.
Here are the words...

Grandmother has a most musical clock,
It plays a tune, morning and noon;
It's the most musical clock in the block,
You'll hear it chime very soon.

Silv'ry bells ring, Golden notes sing;
And when I'm sleepy and go off to bed,
The clock says "Goodnight sleepy head!
Goodnight, sleep tight:  Goodnight!"

 I think I need to get me a musical clock!

My 4 younger siblings probably used this as well.
Perhaps I'll frame it and put it in my piano studio!

And this is the house (pic taken in 2010)
where that grand piano resided
in the back right hand corner.
The view from the back of the house
looks out to Catalina Island.

Thanks mom and dad for the good times
and all those piano lessons!
I really do appreciate it, now.
Can you believe I'm shedding a few tears as I type this?  Oh my!

3 comments:

Bryon Cheney said...

Frame it Mom! That's a great idea. I love it when things come full circle like that. You're the grandma and teaching others to play with 2 hands:)

Carrie said...

Neat post...great memories and such a pretty house to grow up in.

Lorie Ann said...

That's awesome! You SHOULD frame it! It's very appropriate. And I understand how you must have felt learning that - looks tricky! :)