Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Empty Nest Life

For years I never dreamed it was possible to get to this stage of life.  I am here to tell all you parents with children still at home - the empty nest comes too fast - enjoy them while you have them.  Of course, I did enjoy them while they were home but that didn't keep them home.  And in reality, they are doing just as I have always dreamed - they are off on their own and independent!  I love them all in all their different stages - young parents, college student and missionary.

Ron and I don't sit around twiddling our thumbs - oh no!  Life is good!  Life is great!  We are busy with work and church service and people!  We love people!  We love the gospel!  We love work - life would be so boring without it.  He is a great realtor and I love watching my piano students improve!  It is true that our children and grandchildren are far away but we do the best we can and we take every opportunity to visit - 2 vacation plans are in the works.

Good thing we like each other.  We recently celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary!  I like being married to my best friend.

While everyone was here for Christmas, Ron moved my computer into his office to free up a bedroom.  Haven't changed it back - we like being in the same room.  We can both sit at our computers and talk.  Just closed the door of yet one more bedroom and closed the vent - yup, that makes 3 rooms that are cold at my house.  But if you come for a visit, we'll warm it right up. 

4 comments:

Kelly said...

sounds like you are having a much easier transition into empty nesting than I did. I was sad and cried for a year after my kids left. (just ask Kirk) I just miss them so much but like you,I am so proud that they are all doing what we taught them to do. I also am enjoying each of their stages, but oh how I miss them.

Carrie said...

I can't imagine getting to that stage, but seeing Spencer graduate from High School makes me realize that it actually does indeed happen. Looking forward to lunch soon. When are we going?

Bryon Cheney said...

What a great idea to keep the rooms closed off. Enjoy the peace until you live closer to your grandkids:) I don't think there is a day Jill doesn't have a grandkid or two over at her house keeping the place untidy.

Kristy Anderson said...

A great reminder...and time for us is just flying by too quickly as it is. We are trying to treasure these times and just enjoy it because we know we will miss these years so much. Just look at your great posterity and the many lives that have been touched by you and Ron, your children, and now your grandchildren! What a blessed family!